Thread: Settlers Day Manville Sportsmen's Club LIncoln RI September 24th-25th

Settlers Day Manville Sportsmen's Club LIncoln RI September 24th-25th

I just plugged this into the add event calendar and is now showing on the forum calendar link.

http://www.manvillesportsmensrodandgunclub.org/

We have been doing this event as an ad hoc sword get together and public exhibition since 2003. Table space arranged accordingly to needs. If you would like to arrive with stuff for display and handling, please let me know. The big plans and attendance are still not etched in stone but there are usually mats to cut. More on this as finalities are worked out. We always hope for mild partly cloudy. We have both soaked and parbroiled. We did manage the last wet one indoors (lacking the cutting though).

There are ample other activities that are family friendly with some food and varied other vendors. Chuck a hawk, throw an arrow and even some flash bang activities.

We had a very nice guy on the site last year knapping flint and there have been other smiths with forges running. I cannot say any two years have been the same. Militia re-enactors, native pow-wow, rock climbing, pony rides; I just never know what to expect. We had a local drum circle next door last year Sunday. There is a regular internation pow wow in Massachussets that weekend so we never know if or when there may be a feathers and smudge day. We will now more about particulars as the summer progresses.

Cheers

Hotspur; I officially have too much stuff to table it all
    Attached Images Attached Images      

This is still a go, as far as I know but with little more to offer as to more specifics. Each year has been a bit unique. Prepare for weather accordingly. One new regular baked to a second degree sunburn last year, so prepare. I cannot guarantee shade, as some feel setting up the canopy is more hassle than it is worth but I'll likely load it anyway (I need to tune that one up).

Cheers

Hotspur; this is a great opportunity for those in the RI area to take the lead for this as years go on

I plan to attend as usual.

Well, we are about a month out from this and there seems to be some pluses coming along for this weekend. Josh MacNiel from the myArmoury board has announced his dad and friend are setting up to do an antique engine display. Not swords per se, but relative to the industry of the area producing edged arms during several wars.

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=23512

Just today, another terrific addition is formulating in having Steven Hirsch of

Kunstbruder Boston Sword and Shield
    Affiliate of:
    Forte Swordplay

doing some swordplay exhibition with a hands on opportunity and introduction to the methods.

The weather genie in the lamp has odds for dry weather both days.
    http://www.dryday.com/30dayWeather/U...rovidence.html

Cheers

Hotspur; more as we go and get closer to those dates

This is still on track, as far as I know. I did see another announcement on the local Craig List that mentions the antique and military exhibition. I have some grapevine updates but nothing really new to report aside from the tropical storms at least are holding at bay for the rest of the month.

Believe it or not, I am about half packed. The book pile has become more than I will load all of but between others and myself will have plenty of reading and resource. New this year are more militia type swords, including more eagle pommels and plain Roman helmeted stuff. Examples from the French & Indian war period right up to the 20th century. I kind of lost track these past twelve months and had to shut myself off from the sword of the month club. A good mix from mostly the first half of the 19th century.

Cheers

Hotspur; The swamp maples here in Woosta county are starting to show red (three weeks early), so it may well be autumn coolness on the 24th-25th

Well, it is O yawn early in the morning on a soggy day. Some are scratching where it itches and rollling over back to bed but it looks like the real dreary weather is done for the moment. Steve sent a round of mail that they will not be down. Our Green Mountain contingent has been tied up with the family and his plans changed earlier in the week with a probably not but dearly wishing to. I have been mostly off the coffee bean this past season but now that it is officially fall and my own afib beast is being good, I have a pot of dry Mexican bean ground and brewed.

My own schedule misses F! Singapore quali and the race, as those have gone to night races. As chance would have it, I also have a free weekend of HBO and Cinemax I am missing most of but did catch Amelia, reruns of Sherlock Holmes and a tasty bit of Mullholland Falls. Loaded yesterday evening, I can't deny the radar shows the rain departing to the east. Gray and definitiely ground damp, it looks like we have less of a chance for any more downpours until Sunday night.

Drop by if in the area and not otherwise occupied. Barring last minute issues, I will make it down the road in good accord and I know the troops from RI will be up and at it shortly.

Cheers

Hotspur;

Sally in the garden, sifting cinders,
    Lifted up her leg and farted like a man.
    The bursting of her bloomers
    Broke sixteen winders
    The cheeks of her *bleep* went
    (CLAP CLAP CLAP)

This sustained low pressure to the west in the country has led to a hot sunny weekend and today has not been at all shabby. We actually got a bit too much sun. For some reason it always seems too much effort for putting up the big pop-up. Josh did bring a screened tent yesterday for shade relief while he worked on sharpening up some spears. One new one he hafted is quite tall on an eight foot pruning saw pole.

Todd brought a Cold Steel 1796 he had ground some, along with Del Tins he has lightened and made blazing sharp. Along with the spears, an 1830ish American mounted artillery sabre made it to the cutting stand a few times. I am bad in some eyes but this sabre was bought specifically as a cutting example for comparison with the reproductions. It could be sharper but did cut. Sound as a bell and comparable to the retail listed for some of these reproductions. I do a few box cuts with other antiques from time to time but it is always a judgment call as to how sturdy a hundreds year old grip core actually is. Removing any slop in fit is paramount.

So that's about it until next year, which will be a tenth year running for this get together/show and tell.

Cheers

Hotspur; very busy with the public this year
    Last edited by Glen C.; 09-26-2011 at 02:59 PM.